Leanne Hartley from the State Department of Water and Environment gave Club members a comprehensive tour if the refurbished Kent Street Weir. She explained

Kent St Weir is safe for the public to use; however, the reinforced concrete piers were in poor condition and the weir was nearing the end of its structural life. In addition, the process of installing and removing the weir boards each year was labour intensive.

There have also been an increasing number of tidal intrusion over the last 10-15 years, in which saline water has flowed over the top of the weir boards and been trapped upstream of the weir.

The upgrade incorporates a new bridge that will provide access for pedestrians, cyclists, and other members of the public. It has also

  • Extended the life of the weir by approximately 50 years
  • Ensured safety for users of the weir, and government staff who operate it
  • Maintains water quality for the freshwater ecosystems upstream of the weir
  • Allows for the installation of a fish ladder
  • Upgrades to automated management of the weir boards (or gates).

Kent St Weir was constructed in 1926 across the Canning River, connecting the localities of Wilson and Ferndale in the City of Canning. The weir is designed to maintain an upstream freshwater pool by preventing backflow from the saline water of the Swan Estuary further downstream.

The heritage-listed structure is owned by the State.  It is 52 m long, and has undergone a number of reconstructions in its lifetime, with most recent civil works occurring in 1962. It is highly valued by the local community and forms an integral linkage between Kent Street Weir Park and Canning River Regional Park.